Clonakilty Blackpudding scotch egg with Asian salad is a delightful lunch time bite. Combining the unique flavour of the Clonakilty Blackpudding with the refreshing and nutritious crunch and chilli kick of the Asian salad, this is a recipe you’ll want to show off over and over again.
For the scotch eggs:
- 10 quail eggs
- 350g pork mince
- 200g Clonakilty Blackpudding (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 spring onion (finely sliced)
- ¼ bunch of coriander stems (finely chopped)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 litre vegetable oil
For the salad:
- ½ a Lebanese cucumber (halved, deseeded & finely sliced)
- ½ a mango (peeled & finely sliced)
- ½ cup of watercress
- ¼ bunch of mint leaves
- ¼ bunch of coriander leaves
- 5 small radishes (quartered)
- 2 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
1. Boil the quail eggs for 2 minutes, then place them into cold water for 5 minutes and then peel the eggs.
2. Mix the mince, Clonakilty Blackpudding, minced garlic, minced ginger, spring onion, coriander, shallot, kaffir lime leaf, onion powder, salt and pepper into a large mixing bowl.
3. Place the mixture in between two sheets of baking paper and roll out with a rolling pin thinly to about 3mm in thickness.
4. Divide the mixture into 10 equal parts.
5. Place a quail egg into each part of the mixture and gently roll until the quail egg is fully covered. If there is leftover mixture just set it aside.
6. In three separate bowls place flour, a beaten egg and panko bread crumbs.
7. First coat the scotch egg in the flour making sure to coat it evenly, then the beaten egg and finally the bread crumbs. Repeat for the remaining 9 eggs.
8. Pour vegetable oil into a pot and bring to about 180°.
9. After 40 seconds to a minute, drop the eggs into the oil, 2 or 3 at a time and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
10. Set eggs aside.
11. To serve, scatter the cucumber, mango and watercress around a large serving dish.
12. Cut the scotch eggs in half and place them around the dish.
13. Scatter mint, coriander and radishes around the dish and top the eggs with sweet chilli sauce.