Raise your hand if you love falafel's! This is not just your regular falafel but this gorgeous little recipe is made using our new Veggie Pudding combining all things Veggie! It works brillantly as part of a big veggie spread for guests or for the whole family, and to top it off, they're so easy and versatile too!
250g Clonakilty Veggie Pudding
1 litre of Sunflower Oil
1 free range egg, whisked
50g panko breadcrumbs
2 x flatbreads (Syrian flatbreads or Pitta Breads work best)
1tbsp Tahini Paste
2 tbsp Natural Yogurt
Zest of 1 lemon, juice of 1/2
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Salad leaves, something peppery like rocket or mustard leaves
1. If you have a deep fat fryer, get that switched on now. If not, use a sturdy deep saucepan and fill it no more than half full with one litre of sunflower oil. Bring it up to temperature perfect for quick deep frying.
2. While the oil is heating up, make the Tahini dressing - mix together the tahini, natural yogurt, half the lemon juice and a sprinkle of sea salt.
3. Mix well together until a pouring texture. If too thick, add a little water or more lemon juice. Check for seasoning and flavour balance.
4. On a plate, pour out the panko breadcrumbs.Crack the egg into a ramekin and whisk with a fork - slice the Clonakilty Veggie Pudding into rounds about 1.5cm thick.
5. When the oil is hot enough, take each round and dunk in the egg wash then roll in the panko breadcrumbs.
6. Gentle place into the hot oil one at a time until golden brown. Take out with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil. Repeat until all the rounds are cooked. Turn off the heat and leave the oil to cool down completely.
Fill the flat bread with a selection of peppery salad leaves. Add in a selection of your favourite pickles, the Clonakilty Veggie Pudding Falafel and pour over your tahini dressing.
A big thanks to Kate Ryan for this delicious recipe